Sunday, May 20, 2018

Tourette Syndrome

Thomas J. White: Tourette Does the Talking


T. (2014). Tourette Does the Talking: Thomas White at TEDxUND. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0szLOMIt9SQ

This TedTalk is given by a senior at the University of Notre Dame, Thomas White, who has Tourette Syndrome. He talks about his day, how it begins, and the encounters he has with his roommate, classmates, and professors. He describes his morning at school by telling us that he wakes up cursing at his roommate, throwing his phone on the ground, and possibly walking to the bathroom nude. He might throw shampoo bottles and other hygiene products at others who are in the bathroom, and hit himself in the head with his books before putting his backpack on and taking it off several times before leaving for class. He discusses how the chemical imbalance in his brain urges him to the point at which he has to react to a specific stimuli. He may uncontrollably move, shriek, jump, or curse. Furthermore, he tells us that the words that come out of his mouth, are not the words he wants to say. He could say anything at any time and not mean any of it, but he simply cannot control it.

I chose to do this assignment because I feel as though most people, including myself, thought that individuals with Tourette Syndrome just have facial ticks or uncontrollable movements. I furthered my learning on this disorder by, honestly, taking all the knowledge I have learned so far in my neurological aspects and neurobiology classes and realized that there are so many other things that could be going on in an individual's brain that overrides that assumption of it "just being a facial tick or uncontrollable movements." Therefore, knowing there was more to the story, I decided to do this assignment on this amazing TedTalk.

I have learned that Tourette Syndrome is a neurological disorder that causes multiple motor and vocal ticks for the duration of at least a year. It can result in not only sporadic movements, but also grunting, or saying things that they don't mean or words that do not make sense. A bigger lesson I took from this TedTalk was how you absolutely cannot judge a book by its cover. As human beings, it is our first instinct to react or have harsh feelings toward someone who says hurtful things to us or look at someone as disrespectful and inappropriate for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. However, looking at people through my "OT glasses," its easier for me to think, maybe they have something going on in their life that I cannot see from the outside. Some expect people that do have these types of diseases and disorders to isolate themselves, and that is not the solution. Sometimes, we need to step back and realize that all people are people regardless of what their life journey entails, and they deserve to live their life as we are living ours. In my opinion, it is very inspiring to hear Thomas' story. He doesn't view this disorder as something that causes inability in his daily life. Instead, he describes it as a celebration of how he has overcome what others might think he should do and is living and loving his life. It would take a lot of courage and confidence to live the way Thomas' lives, but I'm sure he is happier for it.

I really enjoyed this TedTalk and would recommend it to anyone! For caution of younger children, there is some language used that is a little vulgar, but it really shows a great description of what actually happens with this diagnosis. Here is the link for anyone who may want to check it out, which I hope you do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0szLOMIt9SQ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mock Interview

I truly enjoyed the mock interview experience and thought it went very well overall. When I was preparing for this interview, I told myself ...